Fifht Sunday in Ordinary Time (c)

Today’s readings remind us that we are all part of the plan that God has for the world, in fewer words: each one of us have a role to play in the transformation of the world into the Kingdom of God.

As Christians, as son and daughters of God in the Catholic Church, as parishioners we believe profoundly in the conquest of Jesus Christ. We believe that he is winning the battle against evil, and we believe that we have been called as individuals to be part of the fight[1].

A good summary of today’s readings is the following: Isaiah responds to the question of the Lord, Whom shall I send? With here I am, Lord, send me. Paul tells the Corinthians that God chose him to preach the Gospel even though he had previously persecuted the Church. And Jesus calls Simon Peter and James and John to be part of the plan and fish for men[2].

And Jesus asks each of us to take a step away from the absolute boredom of life for self and take a step into His Life, I mean Jesus calls you and me to fish for these people. Some of them might be sitting in the pew next to you suffering silently due to situations beyond their control. He calls us to let people know that there is hope, infinite hope, and that Hope’s name is Jesus Christ. He calls you and me to proclaim the Good News, the Gospel: Life is Beautiful! Life is Eternal! Life is Jesus Christ! We live for Him and we witness His using us to make His Love Real in the world. And if only one person in our entire lives recognizes the Hope of the Lord due to something that you or I do, due to the way that you or I live, our lives would a success. One is not enough for us, though. The more we give ourselves to Him, the more His Presence is multiplied for others, exponentially for you math whizzes.

And of course the same question arises up: but who am I to proclaim Jesus Christ? How dare I say to that person who is talking about having sex outside of marriage, “Don’t do it. You are better than that.” Who am I to say to that person who is experimenting with drugs, “Don’t go that party, you know what is going to happen.” I’m not that good! Who do I think that I am that I can serve God?

Well, similar thoughts came to Isaiah in the first reading, I am a man of unclean lips, and to Paul in the second reading, I persecuted Jesus Christ and to Peter in the Gospel, Leave me Lord, I am a sinful man. Remember what happened. An angel cleaned Isaiah’s lips. Paul was on his way to Damascus to round up and kill a bunch of Christians when Jesus appeared to Him and called him to change his life. And Peter heard the Lord tell him, Do not be afraid of me, from now on you will be catchers of men.

We do not have the right to limit God’s plans with any negative thoughts we might have of ourselves. We are good enough to promote the Kingdom of God because He makes us good enough. Our past sins are not important here. What is important is God’s grace. What is important is God’s burning desire uniting the world to Himself.

We have been called to stop the cycle of fatalism. We have been called to bring Hope to the world. We need to trust in the capacity God has given us to bring Hope to the world. We need to trust in Jesus Christ, be our best selves, and proclaim the Gospel. We only have one life we can live. We have been called by Jesus Christ to make this one life the best life possible, His Life. We have been called, all of us, to be fishers for Christ ■

[1] Sunday 7th February, 2010, 5th Sunday in Ordinary Time. Readings: Isaiah 6:1-8. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, O Lord—Ps 137(138):1-5, 7-8. 1 Corinthians 15:1-11. Luke 5:1-11.
[2] Idem.

Ilustration: Benjamin West (1738-1820), The Inspiration of The Prophet Isaiah (1782), oil on canvas (83.8 x 34.3 cm), Spencer Museum of Art (Kansas).

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Y entonces uno se queda con la Iglesia, que me ofrece lo único que debe ofrecerme la Iglesia: el conocimiento de que ya estamos salvados –porque esa es la primera misión de la Iglesia, el anunciar la salvación gracias a Jesucristo- y el camino para alcanzar la alegría, pero sin exclusividades de buen pastor, a través de esa maravilla que es la confesión y los sacramentos. La Iglesia, sin partecitas.

laus deo virginique matris


Powered By Blogger