Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time (A)

Lord, you are good and forgiving, we just sing together in response to the psalm, and you know, today is a good time to reflect that we are all in debt, up to our ears! We have maxed out our credit cards and taken out all the loans for which we qualify. Perhaps like King David, who sinned, taking the wife of another man and then killing that man, we cannot undo what we have done. Yet Christ Jesus has redeemed us, and as St. Paul tells us in his Letter that he paid the debt we could never repay[1].

I may say, “But I have never committed adultery!” But I have done other things. Each one of us is aware of being a sinner. If I only look a short distance into my own heart, I know this! Yet why is it that I get on such a high horse and look down at the sins of others?

If only we could get over the guilt we often carry around and truly let out our tears, express our sorrow to those whom we have hurt and to the Lord, and let ourselves know we have been forgiven! Don’t we often turn away our eyes and mumble in response when someone tearfully tells us they are sorry? Yet how hard it can be for me to say I am sorry!

The Church, our Mother, has always taught that the more I have been forgiven and the more I need forgiveness, the more grateful I ought to be that I am forgiven. Maybe today we can simply take that as our measure. How much have I done? How much have I been forgiven? How much, therefore, ought I to forgive others?

How much have I loved? If I love little, I probably forgive little, and I probably have a hard time believing I am forgiven. Likewise, I probably find myself always judging others, if I have loved little.

Yet Jesus came not merely to forgive sins but to bring love. Indeed, He is Love personified. That is why He can forgive sins, because He is the eternal Son of God, Love personified.

When Jesus in the Gospel passage we all remember well forgive a woman he said that the woman’s sins were forgiven because she had very great love[2], His listeners were doubly convicted, because they did not love much and they did not recognize Jesus Himself as BEING Love! Do we lack peace because we have stopped going to Confession or examining our conscience, because we just come to church and go to Communion without even thinking about what we are doing?

My brother, my sister, in a moment, we will once again receive the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, our Redeemer. We are receiving the fruit of His self-gift of love on the Cross. As we do so, let us be on our knees in our hearts; let us cry out in our hearts with joy that indeed we are forgiven.

May this healing sacrament of His Body and Blood and the healing Sacrament of Reconciliation bring us to the joys of everlasting life! Amen! ■


[1] Sunday 17th July, 2011, 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time. Readings: Wisdom 12:13, 16-19. Lord, you are good and forgiving - Ps 85(86):5-6, 9-10, 15-16. Romans 8:26-27. Matthew 13:24-43.
[2] Cfr Luke 7:47. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Y entonces uno se queda con la Iglesia, que me ofrece lo único que debe ofrecerme la Iglesia: el conocimiento de que ya estamos salvados –porque esa es la primera misión de la Iglesia, el anunciar la salvación gracias a Jesucristo- y el camino para alcanzar la alegría, pero sin exclusividades de buen pastor, a través de esa maravilla que es la confesión y los sacramentos. La Iglesia, sin partecitas.

laus deo virginique matris


Powered By Blogger