Today the Source of all the graces of baptism comes himself to be baptized in the river Jordan, there to make himself known to the world. Seeing him approach, John stretches out his hand to hold him back, protesting: Lord, by your own baptism you sanctify all others; yours is the true baptism, the source of perfect holiness. How can you wish to submit to mine?But the Lord replies, I wish it to be so. Come and baptize me; do as I wish, for surely you cannot refuse me. Why do you hesitate, why are you so afraid? Do you not realize that the baptism I ask for is mine by every right? By my baptism the waters will be sanctified, receiving from me fire and the Holy Spirit.Unless I am immersed in them they will never be empowered to bring forth children to eternal life. There is every reason for you to let me have my way and do what I am asking you to do. Did I not baptize you when you were in your mother’s womb? Now it is your turn to baptize me in the Jordan. So come, then, carry out your appointed task.To this John answers, Your servant is utterly helpless. Savior of all, have mercy on me! I am not fit even to unfasten your sandal straps, let alone to lay my hand upon your venerable head.But I hear your command, Lord, and in obedience to your word I come to give you that baptism to which your own love impels you. Man of dust that I am, let deepest reverence enfold me when I behold the height to which I have been called—even to laying my hand on the head of my Maker!See the hosts of heaven hushed and still, as the all-holy Bridegroom goes down into the Jordan. No sooner is he baptized than he comes up from the waters, his splendor shining forth over the earth.The gates of heaven are opened, and the Father’s voice is heard: This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased. All who are present stand in awe as they watch the Spirit descend to bear witness to him.O come, all you peoples, worship him! Praise to you, Lord, for your glorious epiphany which brings joy to us all! The whole world has become radiant with the light of your manifestation ■ Hymn 14, 6-8. 14.32.36-37.47-50: Edit. Lainy 1, 117-18.124.2 7,

Ephrem (c. 306-73), the only Syrian Father who is honored as a doctor of the Church, was ordained deacon at Edessa in 363, and gave an outstanding example of a deacon’s life and work. Most of his exegetical, dogmatic, controversial, and ascetical writings are in verse. They provide a rich mine of information regarding the faith and practice of the early Syrian Church. The poetry of Ephrem greatly influenced the development of Syriac and Greek hymnography ■ Acclaimed as one of the most outstanding lithographs of the whole series, the event ofJesus' baptism is not only a masterpiece of Expressionist art but also has iconic character. Otto Dix applies here the principle of unity of time and space, and the simultaneity of events. Indeed, in this image, baptism and epiphany of the Spirit are combined. We further notice the graphicpolarization of John and Jesus. Shaggy but powerful, John the Baptizer represents the seasonedprophet, whereas Jesus' pale and fragile body is that of a young man still in the throes of adulthood. About to be baptized by the mighty hand of John, Jesus' expression is that of a sensitive humanbeing animated by conflicting feelings of apprehension and sacred calling. His face and body areshrouded in water and Spirit. The scene evokes the anointment of Old Testament kings andprophets, of which the Baptizer is here the humble but effective instrument.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Y entonces uno se queda con la Iglesia, que me ofrece lo único que debe ofrecerme la Iglesia: el conocimiento de que ya estamos salvados –porque esa es la primera misión de la Iglesia, el anunciar la salvación gracias a Jesucristo- y el camino para alcanzar la alegría, pero sin exclusividades de buen pastor, a través de esa maravilla que es la confesión y los sacramentos. La Iglesia, sin partecitas.

laus deo virginique matris


Powered By Blogger